Re: MPI and private methods in octave::load_save_system

From: kingcrimson
Subject: Re: MPI and private methods in octave::load_save_system
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 19:09:35 +0100

> On 13 Feb 2019, at 17:35, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On 2/13/19 11:11 AM, c. wrote:
>> Hi,
>> In Octave 5 the functions
>>   do_load, do_save, read_binary_data, write_binary_data
>> from load-save.cc have been transformed into private methods of the class
>>      octave::load_save_system
>>   The MPI package relies on these functions to Send/Receive variables as MPI
>> messages.
>> Would it be possible to make these methods public so they can be accessed by
>> DLD functions?
>
> Possibly, but I'd like to know how these functions are being used.  I don't
> see any of those functions being used in the source files found at
> http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/mpi at revision
>
>  changeset:   49:506cbb214007
>  tag:         tip
>  user:        Rafael Laboissiere <address@hidden>
>  date:        Mon Jan 01 17:14:51 2018 +0100
>  summary:     Fix speeling errors in doc strings (bug #52766)
>
> Am I looking at the correct package?

No, that version of the package is not maintained anymore, the code in there is
not compatible with Octave 4.4 or later [1].
Current development goes on in github [2] (actually I just now moved it from
bitbucket ...)

The relevant code is here:

https://github.com/carlodefalco/octave-mpi/blob/master/src/MPI_Send.cc#L65
https://github.com/carlodefalco/octave-mpi/blob/master/src/MPI_Send.cc#L67

https://github.com/carlodefalco/octave-mpi/blob/master/src/MPI_Recv.cc#L83
https://github.com/carlodefalco/octave-mpi/blob/master/src/MPI_Recv.cc#L90

> BTW, that's the best commit message I've seen in a while.  :-)

Kudos to Raphael! Unfortunately fixing typos in a broken package is not very
useful :(

> jwe

[1] see, e.g.:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-maintainers/2018-06/msg00004.html