Build a portable linux binary?

From: roland65
Subject: Build a portable linux binary?
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 02:57:39 -0600 (CST)

Hi,

I'd like to know if it is possible to build a portable Linux binary, that
can be distributed on various Linux distributions, and installed by untaring
an archive. In the best case, such a build should include most packages,
like in the Windows build.

This is the way Firefox, Libreoffice, or even MATLAB are distributed. So,
perhaps it's possible to do the same for Octave?

Of course, I know that we could have flatpak or snap packages, but there are
sand boxes, and as such have issues (permission problems, gui themes, huge
size, etc.).

So, do you think a portable Linux build can be done?

Thanks,
RB