Re: 5.1.0 sources and Windows binaries uploaded

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: 5.1.0 sources and Windows binaries uploaded
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 10:02:47 -0500

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 9:46 AM Nicholas Jankowski <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 8:20 AM Kai Torben Ohlhus <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 2:37 PM CROZIER Richard <address@hidden> wrote:

This may be controversial, but have you considered offering a version of
Octave through the windows App store for a charge? This would be a
charge for convenience since users could still download from the website.

Richard

Can you just upload the "octave-5.1.0-w64-installer.exe" installer there or does it take some extra effort?
Otherwise I think that would be a convenient way of donation.

It will likely be a bit more involved than that.  Windows Apps live in a sandboxed environment, are installed in a hidden/admin locked folder, and generally operate with different overall permissions.  I have no idea how package management would work in that environment. It would require someone to register with a MS developer account (one time not-too-large fee). There is apparently a process for packaging a desktop program for Universal Windows Platform[1] including a Desktop App Converter[ 2].  Maybe this isn't any more messy than the packaging done on Linux systems. But I doubt it.

More details on 'behind the scenes' filesystem behavior to sandbox the app  package update/installation as it is now would simply not work. program folder structure is read-only.  local changes can be made/stored in user/AppData, so some settings would be preserved, but no local .octaverc changes, etc. I don't know if there's anything else this would break.  While it doesn't seem that any core octave behaviors would run afoul of Windows store restrictions (no game emulators/browsers mainly), we probably wouldn't know until running a full test suite with an App'd version.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/porting/desktop-to-uwp-behind-the-scenes