Re: 5.1.0 pre-release

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: 5.1.0 pre-release
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 12:44:46 -0500

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 11:51 AM Mohammed Elmusrati
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Thank you very much for your great efforts.
>

> I have installed the prelease of octave 5.1. The installation went fine
> (Windows 10). However, I received errors during packages installation. For
> example when tried to install signal packages I received long list of errors
> (given at the end of this email.
>

> I think in future, it would be great if the way of packages installation has
> been changed to avoid some critical weaknesses like:

1 - there is currently an open project on reworking the package
management system, and there is a regular review of what functions
belong in core octave versus a package.  If I recall correctly I
believe some recent changes to ode, image, and statistics functions
were the subject of that.

2 - did you install the release (5.1) or pre-release (5.0.91)?

3 - why did you need to install the signal package?  it comes
pre-installed with the Windows builds. I also believe some packages
have trouble building on Windows systems, which is why they have a
pre-installed set.  see:
https://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Microsoft_Windows