om-synth

[Om-synth] MIDI trigger in OM?

From: Ross Clement
Subject: [Om-synth] MIDI trigger in OM?
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 12:11:57 +0100

Is there an easy way to trigger samples in LADSPA plugins in OM?

Specifically, is there a way of having a node which reads MIDI output,
and produces a trigger output when a certain note is played.

What I would like to do (which is not sensible, but I want to do this as
a ladspa plugin first) is to have a LADSPA plugin that was aware of a
number of drum sounds. Perhaps it would enquire on an environment
variable and/or look in some standard places to find a directory with a
number of sampled drum sounds and a configuration file. It would then
load the drum sounds. It would have one input and one output for each
drum sound. A trigger on the input would play the associated drum sound
out of the output which could then be mixed/processed by other plugins.

If there were such thing as a MIDI note which produces a trigger output
if it receives a note on event in a particular range, then this would be
useful. Otherwise I could hack it so that the plugin takes a frequency
as well as trigger input and maps that onto a drum sound itself without
worrying about MIDI. The plugin would have to be polyphonic, and I'm not
yet sure exactly what happens with polyphonic plugins, but presume that
Om sorts this out for me so that I can just write a monophonic plugin.

I do realise that writing a DSSI plugin would be the easiest way of
doing this so that there is a user interface allowing selection of drum
sounds, etc. But I haven't written Gtk (or QT) programs before. I'm
writing a Gtk application for an unrelated purpose right now, so
hopefully in the future I'll be writing better plugins.

Apologies if this is only vaguely related to OmSynth.

Cheers,

Ross-c