[Openexr-devel] Re: OpenEXR 1.1.x compatibility with CinePaint and exrto

From: Drew Hess
Subject: [Openexr-devel] Re: OpenEXR 1.1.x compatibility with CinePaint and exrtools
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:57:07 -0800 (PST)

Hi Andrew,

Sorry this wasn't well-communicated to you, my fault.

I bumped the SONAME to 1 for the 1.1.x series because it adds some new
APIs and I wanted people to be able to keep the 1.0.7 library installed
simultaneously with later releases, for packages like Cinepaint, Shake,
etc. which may have dependencies on 1.0.7 and haven't yet been upgraded to
1.2.

Version 1.1.1, which we'll be releasing in the next week, is also a
development release, but it breaks compatibility with tiled files created
by 1.1.0.

Hopefully, when we release 1.2, the next stable release, the file format
will be the same as 1.1.1, but we can't be sure; that's why the 1.1.x
series is a development release.

So maybe we should bump the soname to 1.1 for 1.1.1 and then bump to 2 for
the 1.2 release, just to be sure that people aren't mistakenly using
development libs against their stable apps?  I'm not sure what other
library projects with stable and unstable branches do with sonames when
they release a major stable version, so I'm looking for input on best
practices here.  Let me know if you have any recommendations.

As far as Debian unstable goes, I think you can treat OpenEXR 1.1.x just
like Debian treats other development packages (e.g. libsigc++): that is,
go ahead and offer the 1.1 packages with the caveat that 1.1.x is an
unstable development release.  Packages like Cinepaint and exrtools should
probably continue to be linked against 1.0.7 until 1.2 is relesed.  Of
course, Cinepaint developers are encouraged to try 1.1 and its new
features like support for tiled files in their development sandboxes.

thanks
-dwh-