Re: [Openexr-devel] Visual Studio 2k5 beta 2 generates 1000 warnings com

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Visual Studio 2k5 beta 2 generates 1000 warnings compiling OpenEXR...
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 14:17:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Florian Kainz wrote:

Let me qualify this... we've tested OpenEXR on 32-bit and 64-bit
Linux (on X86-64, not Itanium), and on 32-bit Windows.  As far
as we know, we don't rely on "long" being the same size as a
pointer.  In a few places, where we really need 64-bit integers,
we use Int64, which is defined as "unsigned __int64" on Windows.

Ahhh.  Expect some things to break.

One thing I see in my own code is that Windows thread local storage APIs (Tls*) are used. In the WIN32 API, the size of the storage element is a 'DWORD' which is just a 32-bit long. The 'long' type remains a 32-bit size so presumably DWORD also remains a 32-bit size. Naturally we want to put pointers in there. Storing a pointer works for 32-bit Windows but would break with 64-bit pointers.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn