RE: [Openexr-devel] Multi-layer multi-pass files

From: Chris Cox
Subject: RE: [Openexr-devel] Multi-layer multi-pass files
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 13:55:15 -0800

I would have to extend the naming, because we allow arbitrary length names with
Unicode for our channels and layers.

Also, Photoshop supports up to 56 channels total, RGBA layers or grayscale
layers (not in the same document), plus adjustment layers, plus rendered
layers, plus a few other things that would be difficult to support in this
scheme.
But I could limit saving a 32 bit/channel image in EXR to images that have none
of the non-pixel features (I just have to write some more code to express that
in a plugin ;-).

Currently Photoshop CS2 reads and writes OpenEXR as 32 bit/channel images
(float), with no layers of course.
We currently also write only half format, but will read anything the library
supports (as of whenever we snapshotted the library to ship our code).

In upcoming versions, we would be interested in reading and writing simple
layers.

And I think you will find the final release of Photoshop CS3 rather interesting.
(sorry, can't say more without an NDA)

Chris