Re: [Openexr-devel] Getting started with OpenExr python bindings

From: Samat K Jain
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Getting started with OpenExr python bindings
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 13:02:19 -0600

Are you sure OpenEXR has Python bindings?
$ cd openexr-2.2.0/
$ grep -ir python .
Returns nothing for me. IlmBase has Python bindings, and that will give
you support for Halfs, etc, but isn't enough to actually let you read
OpenEXR files. Someone correct me if wrong.
There's a really old package on PyPi here, but I've never gotten it to
work (I don't think it's compatible w/ OpenEXR 2.x):
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/OpenEXR/1.0.2
I've only successfully read OpenEXR in Python in two ways:
• OpenImageIO's Python bindings, which interface with OpenEXR's C++
interface
• OpenCV's Python bindings, which also interface with OpenEXR's C++
interface
Both are a headache to compile; you might want to see if there's a
package in Homebrew or something since you're on macOS. There are
Debian/Ubuntu packages of both and those worked well enough for me.
Regards,
Samat

--
Samat K Jain • GPG: 0x4A456FBA • Pump.IO: https://identi.ca/samatjain
Web: https://samat.io/ • Twitter: https://twitter.com/SamatJain

This e-mail is: [ ] shareable [x] ask first [ ] private