Re: [Openexr-devel] Proposal for storing ID manifests in OpenEXR headers

From: Nick Porcino
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Proposal for storing ID manifests in OpenEXR headers
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 17:59:37 +0000

This looks reasonable to me. Almost every question I had was answered by the document,

One part that was unclear was 1.2, which talks about deep pixels and ad hoc encodings in the same paragraph. I feel like I could read 1.2 as deep pixels are, or are not, supported. I think they would be, but would suggest breaking the discussion of deep and ad hoc apart.

I deduce also that you are proposing ASCII encoding, although I think UTF8 should be supported either as the designated encoding or as an option. The reason for this is that in my own work I like to designate ids with URI's and anticipate wanting to encode Japanese strings. Of course I could introduce my own secondary mapping of exr id to URI at the expense of extra work at my end, but I thought it's worth a bit of discussion.

Similarly, it's not clear to me that a separating character like semicolon is necessary to be called out. If the intention is that there will be a set of standard tools that can parse the assignments, I can see the utility, but the counter examples like "tunic with leather" suggests general parsing is perhaps not anticipated.

If semicolon is to be somehow special then I suggest that the manner of escaping semicolon also be described. Could be as simple as ;; or \; means a literal semicolon, not a separator.

Happy to see new thoughts around EXR,

- Nick p