openpanorama-info

Re: [Openpanorama-info] Update and need suggestions....

From: James Rigg
Subject: Re: [Openpanorama-info] Update and need suggestions....
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 12:15:46 -0000

Mathieu,

> So, do you think it's a good thing to create a Panorama file format, and
> in the same time a viewer configuration file format?

I think this is a great idea, although I imagine we may disagree on where
you draw the line between the two.  another possible distinction is between
the image properties and the panorama properties.  For example:

Image properties:
* projection used (planar, equirectangular, cylindrical, cubic)
* hot spot (location/bounding box, name, description - but not what the hot
spot does)
* meta data (name, description, gps co-ordinates, etc)

Panorama properties (may comprise multiple images and other resources):
* how to render (flat / perspective corrected)
* whether to auto-rotate
* scripting movement
* hot spot "action" - hyperlink, scripted movement, sound
* etc

Viewer properties (not part of the openpanorama.org project?):
* viewer size
* whether to display a toolbar
* etc

What I have in mind is that in the image properties you might define the
area of a doorway and label it "front door" but you would not define what it
is supposed to "do".  It is the panorama properties file that defines what
hotspots are supposed to do.  Similarly, whether a VRML object is displayed
rendered within the panoramic scene, is something to be defined in the
panorama properties file and not the image properties.

If viewer attributes are part of the openpanorama.org project, we could
define a specific interface for the viewer, that makes it extensible.  This
would mean that someone could write a generic Java floorplan applet and have
it talk to the panorama applet to get and set orientation and view.

Just an idea...

J.
--
panoguide.com