otpasswd-talk

[Otpasswd-talk] Nearest plans

From: Tomasz bla Fortuna
Subject: [Otpasswd-talk] Nearest plans
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:12:23 +0100

Hello,
  I've managed to arrange that one of my subjects at polytechnic I can
pass by making certain modification to otpasswd. Therefore I can find
some time to work on it. ;-)

This change is to split utility into two executables:
a) User interface working without any +s flags.
b) Backend executable which works with SUID if needed.

Idea is exactly as with unix_chkpwd - to remove any error prone actions
(parsing user data translating output with gettext) from suid
executable and place them somewhere else.

In future this can also ease creation of gui utility. Possibly.

To achieve this goal I plan to change one more major thing - drop GMP
dependency. This project doesn't need arbitrally big numbers, unsigned
128bit is just enough. I plan to implement this using two 64bit numbers
which might not be perfectly portable but I believe will be fast and ok
for start.

I'll try to keep "backward compatibility" with GMP in case this
experiment failed.

num_t currently require initialization/deinitialization + reallocating
memory and it's simply pretty heavy and kind of difficult to transfer
between this a) b) executables in already-parsed form.

See you,
--
Tomasz bla Fortuna
jid: bla(at)af.gliwice.pl