[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Pan-announce] ANN: 0.12.90 "By the surly beard of Mrifk, Grignr kneels
[Pan-announce] ANN: 0.12.90 "By the surly beard of Mrifk, Grignr kneels to no man!"
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 15:51:44 -0700
Pan 0.12.1, "The din of other people", and
Pan 0.12.90, "By the surly beard of Mrifk, Grignr kneels to no man!"
have been released. They can both be found at http://pan.rebelbase.com/.
What is Pan?
Pan is a newsreader, loosely based on Agent and Gravity, which
attempts to be pleasant to use for new and advanced users alike.
It has all the typical features found in newsreaders and also
supports yEnc, offline newsreading, article filtering,
multiple connections, and a number of extra features for
power users and alt.binaries fans.
It's also the only Unix newsreader to get a perfect score on the
Good Net-Keeping Seal of Approval evaluations. See
http://pan.rebelbase.com/features/ for the rest of the
About 0.12.1 and 0.12.90
0.12.1 is a stable bugfix release, addressing the most common
issues reported against 0.12.0. Most fixes are related to i18n,
so non-English users will want to upgrade to this release.
0.12.90 is an unstable beta release that starts with 0.12.1,
restores Pan's old single-click filtering buttons, then adds
a toolbar, optional spellchecking, the ability to restore tasks
from the previous session -- and probably a few bugs. :)
NEW FEATURES in 0.12.90
* Added a toolbar in the main window.
* Added the ability to restore, on startup, tasks that were
queued when your last Pan session ended.
* Added optional spellchecking in the compose window. Thanks
to Evan Martin for writing gtkspell, which Pan uses for this,
and to Michael Alger, who suggested the idea and contributed
a patch to use gtkspell in Pan.
* Restored, via the toolbar, single-click filtering
that's been gone since 0.9.7.
UPDATES in 0.12.90
* Eliminated the memory penalty for having tasks queued which
operated on newsgroups other than the current newsgroup.
This should be especially helpful to alt.binaries users.
* Flagging messages now works across all newsgroups. Articles
could previously only be flagged for the current newsgroup.
UPDATES in both versions
* Better support for non-standard Subject & Author headers
containing 8bit characters. Thanks to Carl Hudkins,
Kang Jeong-Hee and William Maddler for suggesting
improvements in this area. (#80002, #81181, #85510)
* We now use the locale to determine the group's default charset,
rather than a hard-coded 'ISO-8859-1'. Thanks to Martin Tomasek
for suggesting this. (#84995)
BUG FIXES in both versions
* Bug Fixes in both versions Fixed 0.12.0 bug where Pan would
lose the article's state when switching newsgroups, making
it difficult to see which articles has already been saved.
Thanks to Gabi Davar for reporting this. (#85445)
* Fixed 0.12.0 bug in the Composer where the reply would be
corrupted if a signature contained 8bit characters. Thanks
to Alexander Skwar for reporting this. (#85502)
* Fixed 0.12.0 bug in the Composer where the automatic wrapping
would corrupt the message with 8bit characters. Thanks to
Alexander Skwar for reporting this. (#85508)
* Various build fixes reported for 0.12.0. (#85968, #86203)
* Fixed 0.12.0 bug that caused sorting the articles in
tabbed view to switch to the article tab.
Thanks to Fred Fraley for reporting this. (#86409)
* Fixed 0.12.0 bug that didn't close the 'Are you sure you want
to quit' dialog if a user pressed 'no'.
Thanks to D.m.D. Ljungmark for reporting this. (#87518)
* Fixed 0.11.3 bug that would cause Pan to retry impossible tasks.
Thanks to Carl Hudkins for reporting this. (#86795)
* Added the character encoding to outgoing email.
Thanks to Alexander Skwar for suggesting this. (#85503)
* Fixed long-standing bug that made it impossible to attach a
rule to a renamed newsgroup.
Thanks to Carl Hudkins for reporting this. (#85725)
* Fixed long-standing bug that would cause Pan to download
only a subset of bodies, when getting bodies for all headers.
Thanks to Si for reporting this. (#72555)
|[Prev in Thread]
||[Next in Thread]|
- [Pan-announce] ANN: 0.12.90 "By the surly beard of Mrifk, Grignr kneels to no man!",
Charles Kerr <=