pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: Code & DB update notice

From: Michael A Chase
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: Code & DB update notice
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 06:50:17 -0800

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 00:28:44 -0700, K. Haley wrote:

> File: pan.sqlite3
>
> SERVER
> A NNTP news server.
> Rank will be used to tell which servers to hit first for a body.

>     username          (string NOT NULL)
>     password          (string NOT NULL)

Not all servers require username and password so these should probably
allow NULL.

> GROUPS
> A newsgroup or a folder.

>     description       (string NOT NULL)

Not all servers provide a description.  An empty string would probably be
acceptible in that case though.

>     filter_name       (string NOT NULL)
>     filter_show       (uint32 NOT NULL)
>     filter_bits       (uint32 NOT NULL)

I don't know what these are for.

>     identity          (string NOT NULL) empty for default

> GROUP_SERVER
> Pair each group with 1 or more server, and each server with 1 or more group.
> This way "get new headers" will know which servers need to be hit.
> Also keep track of min and max article numbers.

>     article_min       (integer=0 NOT NULL)
>     article_max       (integer=0 NOT NULL)

I think newsrc files have disjoint lists of the articles downloaded.  Is
there any place to store lists of article number ranges?

> VSERVERS
> Name of each vserver except the default server.

Why not the default server too?  The default might change over time.

> File: pan_article.sqlite3
>
> REFS
>   ! article_id        (int NOT NULL) ARTICLE:id
>     reference         (BLOB NOT NULL) 16 byte MD5 hash of 1 reference
>   * id                (int primary key)

Where is the reference itself kept?

> ARTICLE_HEADER
>     aid               (int NOT NULL) ARTICLE:id
>   ! hid               (int NOT NULL) HEADERS:id
>   * id                (integer primary key)

Would it be useful to preserver the order of headers in an article?
Normalizing the display order has a lot to say for itself too.

--

Mac :})

** I usually forward private questions to the appropriate mail list. **

Ask Smarter: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html