pan-devel

[Pan-devel] (non-working) NZB import

From: GISQUET Christophe
Subject: [Pan-devel] (non-working) NZB import
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:54:30 +0200

Hello,

NZB is a XML file introduced (AFAIK) by the site newzbin.com and first used in the (still AFAIK) commercial and closed-source newsbin newsgroup reader. The specs are available here:
http://docs.newzbin.com/Newzbin:NZB_Specs

While it probably isn't a killer feature, I thought it would be interesting to make a contribution by adding such support to pan, which is my prefered newsgroup reader.

I haven't attached the corresponding patch because of the usual filtering occuring on lists. You may find it with other files here:
http://christophe.gisquet.free.fr/nzb.tar.bz2

It contains both the patch and a (soon to be invalid) testcase:
- a .nzb file (Geri.nzb)
- the socket & parsing log (nzb.log) when loading this .nzb file and launching the save tasks - the normal log (normal.log), when saving manually the articles' attachments in the corresponding newsgroup

This patch adds a handler in the GUI, which invokes a classic file-opening dialog (maybe GTK+ 2.6 only, I'm not that experienced with GTK+), while the actual work is performed in task-xml.c, as it shares a bit of code (and patches for newer files are problematic).

The NZB is parsed as a XML file, and the parsing seems OK to me (not tested extensively). I added fast workarounds for filename generation, for lack of knowledge of pan (I'm only 2 days into it) code.

However, whatever I try (adding a body task or a save task), the requests to the server seem strange, as if the identifier wasn't properly pre-processed by myself. I'm now clueless on what's lacking. I hope it's only minor.

Regards,
Christophe GISQUET