pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] [OT] Commercial news servers

From: Jef
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] [OT] Commercial news servers
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 14:09:35 -0400

> How did you get an account with Giganews through Comcast? They never told me
> about that when they killed the @home news feeds. Of course I've never
> checked my Comcast mail account. Maybe they sent something there about it?

        They were very quiet and sneaky about it. I think they would prefer not
to offer them at all, but too many people made noise. A tech reporter
from the Detroit Free Press was all over them during the transition, and
his online column was where I heard about it.

        I never heard a peep about this from Comcast.

        This is the link you can use to sign up (you'll have to do it from
home, or whereever your cable modem is. You can't access the page from a
non-Comcast address):
        http://comcast.giganews.com/signup

        You'll also need to know that incredibly idiotic username (and
password) that you were assigned for your primary account. They mailed
this out snail mail early in the transition.

        If that link doesn't work properly (tho I don't see that is shouldn't)
you can try to log in to the www.comcast.net page also with that dumb
account ID and password.
        Once logged in, click on "Member Services" in the lefthand column. Once
in the member services section, click on the "Manage my Account" link.
The link to "Access Newsgroups" is on the right side of the page.

        Now it's time to start making noise about upping the monthly bandwidth
allocation. :)

        Good luck!

        Jef