pan-users

[Pan-users] Wishlist

From: Toby Inkster
Subject: [Pan-users] Wishlist
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 16:57:35 +0100

Here are a few ideas I'd like to see implemented in Pan. They're mostly quite
simple. I'd implement them myself if I had better knowledge of string
manipulation in C.

PIPES
-----

It would be nice if there was a user-definable pipes menu. For example, I could
define an entry "rot 13" by `tr "[a-z]" "[n-za-m]"` and "gpg sign" by `gpg
--clearsign`.

Then, when I was composing a message, I could highlight some text and select
"rot 13" from the "pipes" menu and some magic would happen. :-)

USER-AGENT STRING
-----------------

Pan currently adds the following header to all my posts:
Now... "Unix"??? I though Linux wasn't strictly Unix. It would be nice if (at
either compile time or run time) Pan could detect your OS properly (preferably
including kernel version) and put it in this string.

DYNAMIC SIGNATURES
------------------

Pan should check the first two characters of your signature file. If they're
"#!" (as in "#!/usr/bin/perl" or "#!/bin/sh"), the signature should be treated
as an executable and should be run instead of read -- the output of the
execution forming the signature.

Similar to how Sylpheed (mail client) does things (although Sylpheed looks for
"|" at the beginning of the path to the signature file)

NON-BINARY VERSION

I only read text newsgroups, so it would be nice if at compile time I could do
"./configure --disable-binaries" and Pan would be compiled without all the
binary newsgroup features I don't need -- like UU/yEnc encoding and decoding.

--
       Toby A Inkster, Esq. ~ http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/
           mailto:tobyink<at>goddamn.co.uk ~ gpg:0x5274FE5A

Outside a Hong Kong tailor shop: Ladies may have a fit upstairs.