pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] 0.11.4 (was: Feature request: GPG support)

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] 0.11.4 (was: Feature request: GPG support)
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 13:22:11 -0700

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 03:49:32PM -0400, gaw zay wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Charles Kerr wrote:
>
>>> The roadmap page on rebelbase.com doesn't speak about gtk1 port of pan.
>>> What are you going to do with ? Is it going to be parallely developed for
>>> long ?

>> Not without a compelling reason.  Synchronizing two branches was a
>> large time sink for Pan's small development team.  It's much better
>> to have Chris and me hacking on the same codebase.
>>
>> IMO 0.11.4, if there ever is one, will be a bugfix release made up of
>> 0.11.3 + 0.11-friendly fixes culled from 0.12.

> this is OSS of course if someone feels compelled to keep up the gtk1 branch
> they are welcome to it right? Don't look at me however. :-)

Two answers:

(1) Pan uses the GPL, so anyone can fork anytime they want to.

(2) If someone wants to join the Pan team and hack on either version,
    I'll welcome them with open arms and provide CVS accounts.  We always
    need more programmers.

However, IMO it would be pointless to fork or put much effort into 0.11,
as the only audience for more 0.11 releases are people who can't be bothered
to install gtk2.  Most people in that set probably wouldn't upgrade Pan anyway.

cheers,
Charles