pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan freezes my internet connection

From: John J . LeMay Jr .
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan freezes my internet connection
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:05:11 -0400

** Reply to message from Matts <address@hidden> on Tue, 30 Apr 2002
04:19:04 -0700 (PDT)

> I have found that pan might be the problem, since using only mozilla works
> fine, but when using pan the downstream suddenly drops to zero, and will not
> recover without a disconnect and then a connect.

This sounds more like a problem in the stack - maybe a loss of route info or
something. The only way I can think of an application causing this is if the
application were sending a significant number of malformed packets over the
link and the switch on the far end locks out your port to prevent you from
disrupting the remainder of the network. However, there are two major
assumptions here - one that Pan is sending malformed packets and you are the
only one having a problem with it - or at least the only one reporting it, and
second that the ISP's hardware is intelligent enough to shut off your port when
it sees malformed packets. Both are a real leap.

John LeMay Jr.
Senior Enterprise Consultant
NJMC, LLC.