pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Strange problem with Pan data

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Strange problem with Pan data
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 19:21:59 -0700

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 10:31:49PM +0200, Edith Gross wrote:
> > I don't know what you're talking about, unless you're jumping from
> > 0.11.9x to 0.11.3.
> >
> > * In 0.11.9x, Pan's home directory is $PAN_HOME, or ~/.pan by default
> >
> > * In 0.11.9x, the server list is saved in config.xml in Pan's home
> >   directory, so blowing away the directory blows away the server list.
> >   In 0.11.3, the server list is saved in ~/.gnome/Pan.
>
> (1)
>
> I read in the README file that I should remove the old ~/.pan directory. I
> chose the name ~/pan, when I installed Pan 11.3, so I removed that directory.
>
> (But I did not remove Pan 11.3.)
>
> Now I am completely sure that I did not worked with Pan 11.3 after I started
> working with 11.92 (the both versions look pretty different!).
> Removing the directory ~/pan did not help, Pan 11.92 restored that directory
> again (in the meantine I had set HOME_PAN to ~/pan).
>
> After your response I looked for ~/.gnome/Pan, but this file (and the
> directory ~/.gnome) do not exist.
>
> So I think that something is wrong here and the data must be stored at a
> different location.
>
> (2)
> I see, that the "on-the-fly" filter has gone, which is a pitty and I was not
> able to set user filters at all. And I used the "on-the-fly" filter heavily.
>
> (3)
> Also, I could configure that clicking on an article *did not* download the
> article. This feature seems to have gone as well.
>
> (4)
> Finally I have noticed that the SHIFT S keyboard shortcut has fallen victim
> the modern times too.
>
> (5)
> Summing all this up, I was very content with 11.3 and it is probably the best
> thing for me to return to 11.3, IF THIS IS POSSIBLE. So can I just delete
> 11.92 and return to 11.3? (I am thinking of the effort I needed to install
> 11.92 and I am shuddering.)
>
> Anyway, Pan is a wonderful piece of software and many thx for it.

I really don't know what to say to this.  If you've ever run a gnome app,
it's hard to believe that ~/.gnome doesn't exist.  Shift-S is still there,
and yes, if you delete the Pan home directory and then re-run Pan, Pan
will assume you're a new user and re-create the directory.

The purpose of these betas is to get user feedback, though, so I'm happy
for the rest of your comments.  The single-click-means-select camp seems to
have more people than I thought, so that will be back in the next release.
And the filter features in 0.11.3 missing in 0.11.9x will be back before
0.12.0 -- it's not so much that they've been dropped as that I haven't had
time to reimplement them in the new code. :)

Thanks for trying the beta, try back again when 0.12.0 comes out.

cheers,
Charles