pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] New features

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] New features
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 09:28:47 -0700

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 04:42:08PM +0200, Edith Gross wrote:
> (1)
> In the group pane two numbers should be displayed for each group:
>     (a) The number of locally stored headers, which were downloaded the last
>           time;
>     (b)  The number of headers on the server, which have not been downloaded
>            yet.
> This means, that when Pan starts up, it should read the second number from
> the
> sever and it should not download any articles unsolicitedly.

Why, what good would this do?

> (2)
> There should be a possibility to download new headers for all subscribed
> groups. There was such an option in 11.3 but it seems to have gone. Selecting
> all subscribed groups is tedious.

Yes, I've tried tighten up the menus in 0.12 because 0.11.3's menus are
*huge* and full of redundancies and rarely-used options.   In 0.12 the way
to get new headers in subscribed groups is:

   ctrl-b  (selects subscribed groups)
   ctrl-a  (downloads new headers for selected groups)

The keystrokes are (intentionally) similar, and IMO not tedious.

> (3)
> It should be possible to search across all subscribed groups on a server.
> This
> feature is obviously very useful if you like .mp3 groups. At the moment I
> switch to Gravity for searching and then switch back to Linux and Pan for
> downloading.

I've yet to find a cross-platform, embeddable database library that would be
necessary for doing something like this with reasonable performance.  I'll
probably
look into using Samba's tdb for this in a post-1.0 Pan.

cheers,
Charles