pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Cache in Pan and binary files

From: Roi Dayan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Cache in Pan and binary files
Date: 17 May 2002 10:28:19 +0300

On Fri, 2002-05-17 at 06:37, Charles Kerr wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 09:35:10PM +0300, Roi Dayan wrote:
>
> > I use Pan 0.11.3 and noticed that when I get articles which are actualy
> > binary files I just see sme text in my screen or just 2 lines sayin its
> > a file.  But when I choose to save it it re download it. (BUG1 ?)
>
> This is fixed in 0.11.92.
>
> > Now when I lets say delete the file and then in Pan save it again,
> > it re download it again. (BUG2 ? NO CACHE ?)
>
> This is intentional, though if more people on the list have a problem
> with this behavior it could be changed.  The rationale was that once
> Pan's done decoding and saving a multipart post, the parts are flushed
> from the cache to make room for the next multipart.  I can't think of
> any good reason to keep them around.
>
> The exception to this is for single posts with attachments, since
> they're usually images and people may want to browse them in Pan
> even after downloading them.
>
> > Those bugs does not happen in Forte Agent for example.
> > When I read a binary article it downloads it and I can do save 100 times
> > and it won't re download it, its all in the cache.
>
> If you've saved it once, what's the point of saving it 99 more times? :)

Well I need that kind of option (If to cache binarys) since sometimes
when I download files and lets say one of them is broken (no requests
allowed in the group) I delete all files (which are a lot) and then
after few hours, day or two, there is a repost, I will have to re
download everything from the top. If the files were cached I could just
re save them and just download from the repost missing files.

Roi