pan-users

[Pan-users] Filtering request

From: Brian L. Johnson
Subject: [Pan-users] Filtering request
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 10:22:09 -0600 (MDT)

Hi, I've been using Pan off and on for a year or two, but much more
lately as I've gotten more into Usenet. I think it's a very good
newsreader. :)

But, there is one thing in Pan that could definitely be improved -
filtering. One of the newsgroups I frequent is NANAE
(news.admin.net-abuse.email), and NANAE is a frequent and favorite
target of a character called "hipcrime" who floods a NG with random
material. (search Google for hipcrime - lots of material)

The way Hipcrime works, it forges the name/address/subject of an
existing post, and posts (often in a thread) with random excerpts of
various materials. Since the name/address/subject varies, and is
almost always stolen from an existing (legit) poster, I can't block
on that basis. The best filtering method found is on the
"NNTP-Posting-Host" header.

Unfortunately in Pan, I can only filter on
name/address/subject/flags, etc. What would be great would be the
ability to filter on any arbitrary header.

Thanks,
  -=Brian L. Johnson,  www.blj8.com=-
        9242 links at blj8.com!
 For PGP key email to: address@hidden