pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Upgrading to Pan v0.12.0 on Red Hat Linux 7.1 issues

From: Toby Inkster
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Upgrading to Pan v0.12.0 on Red Hat Linux 7.1 issues
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 17:17:52 +0100

On 23 Jun 2002 01:51:00 +1200
mdew <address@hidden> wrote:

| only on Ximian supported platforms... i laugh at people who have alot
| dependancy problems installing any package including pan/pan-cvs, its
| non-exisistant on debian :) no more --force --nodeps.

RPM, as a packaging format has no significant advantages or disadvantages over
DEB (except that RPMs are in general more widely available and that RPM has
been adopted as the standard packaging format for the LSB).

As far as the packiaging software is concerned, of course "apt-get" is more
advanced than "rpm"... but you shouldn't try to compare them. Instead compare
"dpkg" with "rpm" and you'll see that "rpm" compares favourably.

Compare "apt-get" with "apt-rpm" or Mandrake's "urpmi" and you'll see that RPM
is not as behind as a lot of people claim.

--
T. Inkster {e-mail tobyink<at>goddamn.co.uk}{web goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/}
{please encrypt private e-mails goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/personal/pgp.html}

Sorry.  I forget what I was going to say.