pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Toolbar Second Draft, Feedback Wanted

From: Himanshu J. Gohel
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Toolbar Second Draft, Feedback Wanted
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 22:32:23 -0700

Charles Kerr <address@hidden> wrote:

> Okay, here's a second draft of the toolbar:

>   * If "forward via email" and "reply via email" are added, how
>     can we distinguish between Usenet and email?

Not sure how the forward/reply issue is related to Usenet/email part.  But
these concepts need to be designed, in general:

1. Email Message: envelope
* unread = closed/yellow envelope
* read = open/white env.

2. Usenet Message: OE uses a page with a pushpin; netscape uses ?

3. Group: newspaper
* subscribed = ?
* selected = ?

4. Message (email/usenet):
* Forward: arrow pointing to the right?
* Reply:   arrow turning back towards itself?
- The arrows can be overlaid on either email or usenet messages

> Rationale for Changes in second draft:

>   * The filters are mostly unchanged, since KDE users recognize the
>     funnel and I don't have a better metaphor that fits in 16x16.

I'd still push for a larger size for "mine" and "watched" overlays as
they're not consistent with the size of the others in the group.

>   * The magnifying glass is too closely identified with "search",
>     so "read" is now a lighter green arrow pointing right.

Arrow pointing right is usually "Forward" in mail, news and browsers.  In
the following set,

> Read More (aka Space Reading)
> Read Next New
> Read Next Thread
> Read Next Group

IMHO the problem is in trying to organize the group under "Read" rather than
"Next" which might be represented by an arrow (distinguished from the
reply/forward arrows).

>   * The green puzzle piece for "complete attachments" has been
>     replaced with the standard attachment icon, a paperclip.  New
>     users should understand the new icon easier ... which is a
>     shame, 'cause that puzzle piece has grown on me. :)

I agree that the puzzle piece does work well.  With the paper clip for
showing attachments, how would you now represent "incomplete attachments"
which used to be an incomplete puzzle?  I'd suggest that this is a good
place to stray from the guidelines and have an app-specific icon.

Great job overall.

Himanshu