pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan Wishlist

From: Rob Hughes
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan Wishlist
Date: 08 Jul 2002 08:08:34 -0500

On Mon, 2002-07-08 at 07:45, Mathias Koerber wrote:

Let me add a couple of things. I'm desperately looking around for a
reader that actually works for binary groups under linux. All pan needs
to be perfect is:

1) Pull all servers into groups, so that a given group is checked on all
servers for an article, or parts of an article.

2) Create "virtual" groups, such a mp3s, which might consist of
alt.binaries.mp3s.2000, alt.binaries.2000.mp3, etc.

3) Decode to a directory named for the above virtual group.

A program called binary news reader (now reaper) has that functionality,
but is written in delphi for windows with a "port" done for linux. Most
of the functionality is missing on the linux port, and will probably
continue to be missing for the indefinite future due to the project
maintainer handing the code off to someone with no linux experience or
even tools, coupled with the both the old and new maintainer's refusal
to allow anyone to even look at the source. Further, that client lacks
the ability to read normal articles [1], forcing me to double download
headers on my pay servers, and also lacks the ability to upload [2].
Yenc and mime decoding are also pretty hit-and-miss. So, since that
client as it currently exists on linux is fairly broken, I'm left
looking for client that works. I'm hoping that Pan is that client, since
it seems closer than any other out there to having all the desired
functionality.

[1] It will try to save a text article to a file, but doesn't work very
[2] This is by design. There are occasional mumbles about the
possibility of it being added.

--
Remember: the only difference between
being the champ and the chump is u.