pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan needs some serious fixing

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan needs some serious fixing
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 16:39:37 -0700

(Christalmighty, what mailer are you using that has NO LINEFEEDS?)

> However that spelling thingy did not work out for me.  In order to
> install gtkspell, I needed Pspell, which was meanwhile superceeded
> by Aspel.  So byinstalling Aspell, I did not satisfy the dependency,
> Pan wouldn't start, complaining about missingpspell.so.2.

That's because gtkspell needs pspell.

pspell is a library wrapper library around aspell and ispell.
It acts as a go-between for apps and ispell/aspell.

>> AFAIK you're the first person to ask for it.  Typically flagging is
>> used for reading messages offline, and people saving binaries
>> typically just hit "save".  I guess one could argue this would also
>> be useful in offline reading of a.b.p.* groups, where the pictures
>> are split into 2 posts.  I'll make "flag"multipart-savvy like "save"
>> already is.
>>
>> <em> I won't have time for this until after the Followup-To bug is
>>      fixed and 0.12.91 is out.  File a bug report for this at
>>      bugzilla.gnome.org or the request will probably get lost. </em>
>
> Ok, now you struck a nerve. Call me a criminal,

criminal. :)

> but like a lot of people
> out there, I download music and movies from the Usenet. Worst yet, I don't
> feel guilty about it at all, hehe. (hardened criminal?) Now, most of those
> movies are posted in 15Mb chunks, which are multipart. Pan only gets the
> first part and ignores the rest. It may take a while to download 15Mb
> chunk and if there is about 50 of them, which is typical for a CD size
> post, it will be tedious to sit there and click save for every article.

Why not just select all 50 multiparts and press "save"?

> I know I'll get into a big flaming mess, but I'll have to say this.
> You being a developer of Pan, have you actually used Pan for anything
> else but reading "news"?  Usenet these days is much more than just for
> "reading articles".  Binary groups are probably the bulk of Usenet and
> a newreader has to handle them to be of any use.

Go download yEncs with tin, troll.

> As for filing a bug report, well, I'll try, but that bugzilla form
> looked pretty scary, I'm not a programmer and don't know if I'll do
> it right. But I'll try.  Although it's not realy a bug but a lack
> of feature.

How did you manage to get Linux installed on your computer?

> Ok, I retrieve headers, I'm in the tabbed window layout. I have my mouse
> configured to select an article on mouse button one click. It highlites
> the article in the headers list. The article is not downloaded yet.
> I then click the article tab and am presented with a different
> (already downloaded) article (previously viewed one).
> What I should be getting is an empty window, since the article is not
> downloaded yet, or Pan should go and get the article and display it
> (depending how it's configured).  Getting a totaly different article realy
> throws me off and confuses me. It does work on double click though.

Okay... you have Pan set to select, rather than activate, an article
with a single-click... you single-click on an article, and Pan
selects it...  what's the problem?

It sounds like what Pan calls "select", you call "hilite", and what
Pan calls "activate", you call "select".  Set Pan to activate on
single-click and that should solve your problem.

Your problem clicking on articles, anyway.

>> Just an aside: maybe it's just me...  but starting off with "Pan needs
>> somes erious fixing", and whining about "and this drove me back to
>> Windows..." while complaining about Pan and KNode -- both of which
>> are pretty good programs done on a volunteer basis -- makes you look
>> petty.  You should try contributing some code, or putting money in
>> the tip jar, or at a minimum train yourself to be civil in your
>> bug reports.

> You got it bud, I'm an ungratefull, loudmouth s.o.b who will bith, moan,
> and whine when things don't go his way. LOL.  Don't feel singled out
> though, just the other day I fired off a nasty email to the KDE dev team

And you're proud of this?

> titled "KDE devs you suck!".

No they don't.  Most KDE developers are pretty cool.

> I have outmost respect, gratitude and admiration for all developers
> who work on software for Linux.

Except, apparently, for the ones who suck.

> That said though, it doesn't mean I am going to deal with issues
> concerning Linux in white gloves and dance carefully about everything
> I want to communicate. If I think that something is not right I'll say
> it outloud and wave my arms and kick the chairs around to make it count.
> Hehe.Even if it makes me look bad.

Then use another newsreader.  Your mails are going straight into
my killfile, where Pan will never see them.

> I don't expect Pan to be of the same caliber as Agent which is
> a commercial app but after following Pan for almost two years I find its
> progress slow. specialy since it's the last application I need to complete
> my transition to Linux.

SLOW!!!!

Go to http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/releases/ and count the number
of releases that have come out in the last two years.  Compare & constrast
with the number of releases of ANY other newsreader in the same period.

Then go look at the release announcements: these were not trivial releases.

I have worked damn hard on Pan for at least two years,
and you can go to Hell for all I care, troll.

--
cheers,
Charles