pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] problem with pan 0.12.91 compiling

From: Jeff Vian
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] problem with pan 0.12.91 compiling
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 07:24:51 -0500

David Shochat wrote:
Jeff Vian wrote:

I am trying to compile pan, and get an error that appears to be related to gtkspell

I downloaded and installed the rpm for gtkspell from the pan site before I started to compile pan.

The pan compile failed with the following linker error on the pan binary:

      /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpspell

What I found is that pspell is a separate package that you need to build and install along with everything else (or get it as an RPM in which you will also need pspell-devel). I found the source for it via a freshmeat search. I don't understand why this was not caught during configure. However, when I decided to build aspell from source, its configure did complain that I needed to build pspell first. I wish I understood what all these *spell's do and how their interdependencies work. And I found out the hard way (see my previous post) that pan will fail with "Aborted" if you don't have both personal and global aspell configuration files.
-- David

What bothers me is that Charles, et.al. should know other packages are required, and should make them all patently obvious that they are needed with the release.

This release says gtkspell is required for the spell checking, but it will not compile unless other packages are installed as well. (pspell and maybe aspell)

A single rpm with ALL the dependencies, or maybe a set of RPMs with all the required dependencies would be nice.

HINT  HINT

Please list all the (new or additional) dependencies with each new release so users can at least find what is needed. Packages with the required dependencies would be helpful as well, though not required since most have been easy to find.