pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Feature Request

From: Toby Inkster
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Feature Request
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 13:08:02 +0100

On Sun, 25 Aug 2002 23:41:20 -0500
David Rosenthal <address@hidden> wrote:

| >This rather goes against the entire philosophy of Unix/Linux -- that
| >you should have tools that do one thing and do it well. Pan does news
| >and it does it well.
|
| Well, to me it IS only one thing, Toby.  I'm sending text to a server
| via the Internet.  Or I'm reading text from a server retrieved via the
| Internet.

Well, web browsing is reading text from a server retrieved via the Internet, so
we'd better add web browsing capabilities too. Oh, and you can send text to a
server by FTP as well, so we should throw that it. You see? Feature creep.

| Could you please explain to me what the difference is between writing
| text to upload to a news server and writing text to upload to a mail
| server?  If the functionality to do one is already present, then the
| functionality is present for the other.

E-mail and news use entirely different protocols -- NNTP vs SMTP/POP3

http://sylpheed-claws.sf.net/

--
Toby A Inkster BSc ARCS
PGP:      http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/node.cgi?id=12

Version:  pan-0.13.0-1

Get your Pan RPMs (Mandrake 8.1, i586) at:
    http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/node.cgi?id=209