pan-users

RE: [Pan-users] Why doesn't Pan download articles?

From: Zorrox
Subject: RE: [Pan-users] Why doesn't Pan download articles?
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 22:42:16 -0700

I got some help by turning off "reserve connection" for both servers I'm
listing. Now I'm getting at least headers downloaded for a ll
newsgroups, but not articles for about half, and I can't figure out
why...

After I made the above changes, I open a console and typed "pan
--debug-sockets". Nothing happened for a bit, then there was a quick
flash of a pageful of output, and then the console closed. Does this
reset the servers to reserved connection? It seemed to. Anyways, I'm not
sure what I'm supposed to learn from that... "Try running from the
command line: "pan --debug-sockets" and trying again. What does the
console output say?" I don't know what trying again means or which
console output to report on. This is all new to me.

One thing that is just so strange about Pan is that none of the settings
I select seem to be retained. I just found that if I go to Download
Options for each group, and select All Articles and Include Bodies, and
then make sure that the reserved connection settings are still off, I
get all the articles like I wanted to. But later if I check, the group
has not retained my All Articles and Include Bodies choices in Download
Options, and about half the time the reserved connections are turned
back on again, which stops all activity, basically. Is Pan this buggy
still or is there supposed to be something desireable about these
behaviors?

Thanks