pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] usual comments

From: Michael Janssen
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] usual comments
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:47:18 -0500

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 04:27:25AM -0400, Vadim Berezniker wrote:
[snip]
> What about further grouping binaries?  Right now binaries are
> grouped based on individual messages into parts.  What about
> grouping those parts into one bigger part?  So instead of having to
> select file 1, 2, 3 you could just select one item and press save
> .... That would also save screen space because you would have less
> threads.  (This is just a thought: I know that ther's basically no
> standard way of numbering different parts ... but same thing was
> always true about single messages but most news readers were always
> written to try to find the most commonly used formats. If that could
> be done for messages->part why not part->whole?

My god.  If pan did this intelligently, it would be the newsreader of
the gods.  Decent navigation for reading normal threads and the best
binary browser ever.

The only trick with this is that alot of people name theirs
differently, and they include a bunch of "support" files with the main
files (.PAR, .SFV, .PXX, .REV) -- these would either need to be
bunched with the .RXX's in whole, or separately.

The ideal solution would know what a .REV and a .PXX are and when the
archive has a sufficient amount of parts/support files, mark it as a
complete grouping.

> I know .. I'm dreaming =)

I am too -  but isn't it so much fun?

--