pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan and IMAP

From: gaw zay
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan and IMAP
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 22:03:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Mark Derricutt wrote:

> What would it take to get pan to handle IMAP accounts?
>
> I hate to say it, but pan just kicks arse, and certainly kicks arse over any
> GUI email client that's ever been written for linux that I've seen.
>
> And IMAP doesn't seem toooooo far off NNTP in its mode of use: download
> headers from subscribed groups, retreive body when message header is
> selected (or message is part of the watched/important xxxx rule based
> thread).
>
> Would it be hard?  Would it be viable?  Would it be useful?

This is been brought up before, it's not appropriate according to many.
Pan is a newsclient not a mail client, it has some basic fuctionality for
mail but that's it. No need to bloat it up with other stuff. Why not make
it an http and ftp client too? Or Instant Messenger ... or wizzywig html
editor or mpeg renaming tool , etc etc.

Pan should do news and just news and do it well.

brian
--
Never be afraid to tell the world who you are.
             -- Anonymous