pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: Re: Ctrl+W keyboard shortcut!

From: Adam Warner
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Re: Ctrl+W keyboard shortcut!
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 15:53:55 +1200

Hi Charles Kerr,

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 04:00:07PM +1200, Adam Warner wrote:
>
>> Continuing this theme, Pan also overwrites files when using Save as...
>> without asking first.

Charles this happens when saving what you are about to post (0.13.0)

Before you post a reply try a Save as... of the message.

e.g. Save as... Type t.txt in the dialogue box and hit Enter. cat t.txt
and you'll see you have saved the message.

Try another Save as... to t.txt. Hit enter. You will overwrite the file
without being asked. Or any other file that already exists on your hard
disk that has the same name you choose.

> I don't believe this is the case -- last time I looked, if the file
> already exists, Pan instead looks for filename_2, filename_3 and so on
> until it finds one that doesn't exist, and then writes that.
>
> Now that I think of it, it would be nifty to do an md5sum on the files,
> to see if they're the same, and avoid writing a second copy when the
> files are really duplicates...

I suspect you are taking about attachments. I'm taking about Save As...
under File in the message composition Window.

While I have your attention are you aiming for Ctrl+W to only close a
modified message after asking first? For a parallel I accidentially hit
Ctrl+W in the Evolution email client recently and it asked me first
whether I wanted to save my message. I just hit cancel and resumed instead
of losing everything I had written.

Regards,
Adam