pan-users

[Pan-users] Multiple Server support for PAN: Need a spec

From: ByteEnable
Subject: [Pan-users] Multiple Server support for PAN: Need a spec
Date: 21 Oct 2002 02:29:36 -0500

Hi all,

Is there a spec yet for multiple server support so we can start coding?
The biggest issue will be the database format.  Someone previously
suggested MySql.  I have no inclinations to ne db over another db.  But
this is really most of the work to get this feature (deciding on the
database set) working.  Obviously when adding a feature like this where
a user could in theory have a gigabyte or more of data to manage, the
database methods need to be solid.  Little bugs in a big database means
that a user would have to RE-DOWNLOAD headers again from pay servers
that cost money.

I think this has been mentioned before, but there needs to be a
bandwidth counter with download priority for servers.  Like,

Priority Server Name
2        pro.news.com
1        news.easynews.com
3        some.news.net      3 has the least priority
0        my.isp.com         0 has highest priority

So for example,  when downloading bodies it will hit my.isp.com first,
if it cannot find the body or attachment it will go to pro.news.com next
and so on down the list.

As far as the records go:

I guess you would have a master/merged index that points to the seperate
server database's.  That way if a server is removed it wouldn't effect
the whole database, just that servers data in in its own subdirectory.
I'm just throwing stuff out on the db stuff.  Database maintenance could
turn into a nightmare for an end user if it is not designed properly.

Byte