pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Posting Binaries

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Posting Binaries
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 02:00:56 -0700

On Wednesday 13 November 2002 11:12, Charles Kerr wrote:
> If the pan-users list wants to collectively work out how such a GUI
> should work, then attachment work will move forward more quickly.
> The questions are, how to do these things:
>
>    * casual posting (the current dialog could do this)
>    * multipart posting (the current dialog could do this)
>    * sets of single or multiparts
>    * reposts of single or multiple articles
>    * Is sfv support necessary?  Should it be integrated into Pan?
>    * Is par support necessary?  Should it be integrated into Pan?

I'm in favor of the KISS (keep it short and simple) method...  Posting single
part binaries is a necessity for a good reader, IMO.  Posting multi-part is
also a good thing.  I like the current interface (if it worked, of course
<g>).  For sets of single or multi-part, and sfv/par/rar/zip/gz/bz2/whatever,
IMO, use of a good separate multi-posting app such as newspost and GUI front
ends should be encouraged, at least for now.  Perhaps sometime down the road,
when stuff like integrated multiple server virtual newsgroups (as with bnr2)
has already been integrated and all the bugs worked out, THEN it might be
time to look at some sort of power posting ability for PAN, but I'd consider
encouraging the use of other tools for that sort of functionality for now.
It'd make a good addition post 1.0, IMO.   For simple single file posting,
both single and multi-part, however, I'd agree, the time has come, especially
since you've said nearly all the work is already done, and obviously, the GUI
is already there for it.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin