pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Posting Binaries

From: Sean Tomlinson
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Posting Binaries
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 10:21:23 -0600

At 11:27 AM 11/15/2002 -0700, you wrote:
On Friday 15 November 2002 06:50, Sean Tomlinson wrote:
> At 05:58 AM 11/15/2002 -0700, you wrote:
> >OR, better do NOT require them in the depends, but provide a nice GUI
> >configuration dialog, browse buttons and all, where one could point PAN in
> >the right direction, to use them, if they are installed.  Ideally, there
> >would be default paths either hard coded or installed by default in the
> > pan config, and showing up in that nice dialog, to give the user hints as
> > to what TYPE of path is normally taken, but stability and not disturbing
> > a currently working setup should be higher priorities.
>
>          You mean a dynamic download and installation tool.  You know, you
> download a little program at first, tell it what you want and it happily
> downloads the apropos pieces from the Pan site or a mirror, and
> installs/configures the program...  Would make version control rather
> easy...

No, I didn't mean that.  Rereading it, I did leave out part of what I was
thinking, however, so that could easily have been the impression I left.
(BTW, MSIE's Active Setup, for instance, isn't bad, necessarily, but I don't
think it's what PAN needs...)

Hmmmm. I rather liked the idea, myself. As I mentioned, it would be easier to control the downloaded version, and thus lighten up their tech support.

What I left out was that PAN functionality should "gracefully degrade" when
they are not installed, or not in the location or accessable in the location
where PAN looks by default and no other has been set by that nice GUI dialog
I mentioned.  Thus, if it were to be able to take advantage of newspost, for
instance, to allow auto-posting of large groups of files, were it installed
and PAN could find it, newspost shouldn't then become a dependency on the
RPM, for instance.  PAN should just not have that functionality, if it can't
access the backend tool that provides it, possibly, with a note upon
invocation that the functionality can be added by installing X additional
tools, and giving a URL, either on rebelbase or at the backend program's
site, for download or for more info.

Okay, I can see where that would work. But, what happens if, when I first install Pan, I have no newspost, but install it later. A checkbox in a dialog box, or does Pan look for it? Problems are that A] Some people seem to be having trouble finding certain options in the preference dialogs, and B] Some people are complaining that startup takes too long.