pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Posting Binaries

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Posting Binaries
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 08:23:30 -0700

On Saturday 16 November 2002 09:21, Sean Tomlinson wrote:
>          Okay, I can see where that would work.  But, what happens if, when
> I first install Pan, I have no newspost, but install it later.  A checkbox
> in a dialog box, or does Pan look for it?  Problems are that A] Some people
> seem to be having trouble finding certain options in the preference
> dialogs, and B] Some people are complaining that startup takes too long.

The preference dialog would only be there if it wasn't in the execution path,
or the ordinary installation location.  Checking the execution path for an
executable of name X doesn't take all that much time, or Unix wouldn't be
arranged to use such a mechanism.  With LSB, and with project owners putting
stuff in default locations, even if it isn't in the path, one or a few
additional locations could be searched as well.

As for startup time, it wouldn't affect that, just as searching for, say,
unzip, doesn't affect the startup time of KDE Ark.  It's only if you go to
use that functionality that it affects the time, and then, only to the same
extent it would if you entered the console mode or back end command manually,
and had it search the execution path, for it.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin