pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Single-click in 0.13.2.90

From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Single-click in 0.13.2.90
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 10:52:07 -0600

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 11:56:25PM -0800, Alan Young wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 21:46:53 -0800 Eric Ortega <address@hidden> wrote:
> >   load monster binaries group
> >
> >   scroll scroll scroll
> >     click, drag, shift-s

        same here.

> I think the single click/auto download can be a problem for people on
> low bandwidth too.

        even at 128K ISDN, I have "issues" with it. those seconds wasted add
up to frustration really fast. :)

other people have pointed out middle-click selects. I have two objections to
doing it this way:
a. as someone pointed out, those of us with scroll wheels (or only two mouse
buttons, esp. laptops) are disadvantaged by this.
b. it's less intuitive. it violates the Principle Of Least Surprise.

on this last issue, I also posit that click-to-open also violates the
Principle Of Least Surprise.
a. when viewing lists of files in a file manager, they usually are
click-to-select. in the cases where it's click-to-open (win98, konqueror),
the cursor changes from an arrow to a finger (just like in most web
browsers), indicating a change in behvior one should expect when clicking.
b. if one wants to select messages; it becomes less obvious how to do it, if
clicking once causes the message to be opened. I think most people are used
to the paradigm of click once to select, double-click to open. (which seems
to be the simplest, and therefore most useful paradigm).

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Systems Administrator
Real-Time Enterprises