pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Hello There (OT)

From: Daniel Rahn
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Hello There (OT)
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 16:10:59 +0100

On Sat, Jan 25, Toby A Inkster wrote:
> Not to tread on Duncan's toes, but I think he meant non-Free/non-Open.

First of all everybody has his own opinion, and this is my personal
opinion, not necessarily SuSE's.

> The Yast2 licence:
>
>  a) makes *usage* restrictions upon the software; and

What kind of usage restrictions? The license permits you to change the
software the way you want. Yes, there are some restrictions:

- The program has to be called YaST(2) furtheron.
- You must clearly state that you modified it.

The last restriction beeing exactly the same with GPL software.

>  b) seems to prohibit charging for modified versions of Yast2 without
>     written permission from SuSE.

Yes, if you want to make money with the program, you need to have a
written permission (Note: This does not mean that you have to buy a
license). In case you want to provide it without any charges, you can
do so any time you want without haveing to ask anybody for permission.

> Either of these conditions is enough to warrant calling Yast2 non-Free.

That depends ... but I do not want to drive this discussion any further
since this is the wrong place to do so.

greets,

Daniel Rahn

--

SuSE Linux AG                      |        phone: +49 (0) 911 74053 351
Enterprise Support Services        |        fax:   +49 (0) 911 74053 674