pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Newbie Question

From: Brett I . Holcomb
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Newbie Question
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 20:18:05 -0500

> On Sat 25 Jan 2003 18:37, Brett I. Holcomb posted as excerpted below:
> > I've just started to use PAN to evaluate it and had some questions.
> >
> > 1.  Where is there any documentation?? - the online help does not exist.
>
> This is getting to be a bigger problem, as the circle of PAN users gets
> bigger.  There simply isn't a lot of documentation, except for the FAQ at

Yes, it is.   Can you post or send the instructions you have.   At least
those would help answer some questions before we come here.

> > 2.  I subscribed to newsgroups on two servers - how do I show all the
> > newsgroups at once. Right now I have to select the server to show it's
> > groups.
>
> That's the way things work, right now.  One of the projects before PAN hits
> 1.0 is to redo the current database layout, perhaps using an SQL-Lite type
> layout, compatible with MySQL or whatever for those who are interested in
> doing a bit more serious data mining on their PAN database, but not
> requiring it.   After this is done, it will be much easier to add advanced
> multi-server features such as what you mention.  However, currently, each
> server must be viewed separately.

The postgreSQL type stuff would be neat!

> > 3.  What are the folders for - is it a place we can store articles or
> > can they be used to sort groups, etc.
>
> Folders are for storing articles, as can be seen by the two default
> folders, pan.sent, and pan.sendlater.  BTW, the way PAN implements folders
> internally is as a sort of "virtual" news server.

Thanks.  I'll read this over several times.

> > 4.  I created a folder and now I can't delete it - how do I get rid of
> > it.  Right click/delete doesn't work nor does selecting it and deleting.
>
> Can't help w/ this one, as I haven't used folders since the 0.11.x series
> time-frame, when I first started using PAN.  I use other methods, like
> saving the messages or attachments, or mailing the news message to myself,

It finally responded to being deleted.

> > 5.  How do I assign profiles to various newsgroups/servers?
>
> Interesting question.  I don't see that in the GUI any more.  Mine just
> work, from back when it WAS in the GUI, I presume, but I'm guessing you may
> in the GUI.

It's not in the GUI and I didn't get to the config files yet.  I'm surprised
it isn't in the GUI anymore as it's a pretty standard thing people will do.

> When posting, you can of course choose the profile from the list.  I
> haven't had reason to see what changing that does, lately, but perhaps it's

Hmm, I'll have to find the list.  I posted last night and couldn't find a way
to change the profile.

Thanks.  I've been looking for a good newsreader and PAN looks like the best
so far.  Too many are single threaded (Sylpheed-Claws) which is silly on a
system like Linux and in today's world or just are hard to use.

--

Brett I. Holcomb
AKA Grunt <><