pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] New task manager...

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] New task manager...
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 15:02:19 -0800

On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 11:40:35AM +1300, Mark Derricutt wrote:
> On Friday, January 31, 2003 14:24:25 -0800 Charles Kerr
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >I don't understand.  You can see the overall speed in the main window,
> >and the per-task speed in the task manager.
>
> As seen here:
>
>  http://www.talios.com/images/pan-task.png
>
> I see the percentage complete, but theres no speed indication, ( if the
> task list is showing tasks from various servers, it'd be nice to know a
> speed breakdown to each server ).
>
> But the main one is the time remaining column doesn't seem to be getting
> filled.

Ah!

Short answer: download new headers; any downloads from new headers
will show up the way you'd expect.

Long answer: to calculate the time remaining, Pan now adds up the
total number of bytes in all the articles in the task, uses the
percentage complete to see how many bytes are left, and divides
that by the speed of the connections working on the task.  However,
prior to this Pan didn't use the article bytecount anywhere, so
it didn't bother remembering them when fetching new headers.

cheers,
Charles