pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Feature Request: configurable quoting character

From: Wolf J. Flywheel
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Feature Request: configurable quoting character
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 14:53:39 -0500

On Saturday 15 February 2003 09:39, Torstein Sunde wrote:

> It should be up to the *reader* how the quoting is displayed.  It's
> perfectly OK if a newsreader optionally enables the user to *display*
> quoted text with the initials first, but that junk should not be
> *posted*.  Quoting in a standardised format makes it much easier for
> a newsreader to automatically detect who quoted what, and to display
> the quotes according to the user's preferences.

        Let me agree with this, and also say that I am very much in favor of
*local* reformatting or customized display of text.  If I want to look at
other people's text in a box made of little ASCII-art flowers, that's
wonderful, but the rest of the world might not appreciate it.  ;)
        Anything that makes incoming quoted text more readable is fine by me,
especially if it can turn this...

> >then I said a bunch of long stuff that got wrapped
> a lot
> >but didn't really mean a whole lot to
> anyone!

into this...

> >then I said a bunch of long stuff that got wrapped a lot
> >but didn't really mean a whole lot to anyone!

        I would save a lot of money on aspirin.  :)

--
// Carl Hudkins :: ICQ 5723399 :: PGP 50238D9E
//