pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Feature Request: configurable quoting character

From: Eric Ortega
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Feature Request: configurable quoting character
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 23:56:48 -0800

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 10:00:02AM +0000, Toby A Inkster wrote:

> But they are not non-standard. Indeed, no recognised standards body has
> ever set a standard for quoting. ":" has been used by tin as the default
> quote character for $DEITY knows how long. "|" is also a commonly used
> quote character.

Quite serendipitously I had a problem with this in PAN 0.13.3.93
today.  :(

Earlier this very day I had posted something, which engendered a
response ...

I clipped a rather massive post down to:

=== quoted text ===

  so and so on some day wrote this:

  > good job

======================

I tried to add a smiley-face to this clippage, so as to respond ...

=== attempted post ===

  so and so on some day wrote this:

  > good job

    :)

But, lo, PAN fought me viciously.  It said that it "looked like there was
nothing new" ... !  And there was nothing I could do about it but throw in
some non-art to pacify it.

What can be done about this for the future?  Hardly pressing, but maybe
instead of "Error! You suck!" a button along the lines of "I know,
please post it anyway" could be added?