pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] 0.13.4 memory leaks

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] 0.13.4 memory leaks
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 15:35:02 -0800

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 03:27:44PM -0800, Charles Kerr wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 01:52:38PM -0800, Steven Ellis wrote:
> > Anyone else got memory leaks with 0.13.4?
> >
> > If I download a large bunch of binaries (Ie about 300
> > Mb) it eventually cause the OS to kill it as it has
> > eaten all available memory and swap on the box.
> >
> > My machine is running RH 7.3 and I have the i586 RPMS
> > installed.
>
> I used valgrind (a memory debugging tool) pretty heavily on Pan
> before releasing 0.13.4, and I'm not aware of any leaks.
>
> If you can reproduce the problem, mail me steps on how I can
> reproduce it here.

By the way, if anyone has some free time and a reasonably modern
computer, running Pan with Valgrind is something that you can do
to help Pan with no programming required.

Run Pan this way:

        valgrind --num-callers=32 --logfile-fd=9 ­leak-check=yes
--leak-resolution=high pan 9>logfile.txt

and then mail logfile.txt on to address@hidden

cheers,
Charles