pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] 0.13.4 memory leaks

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] 0.13.4 memory leaks
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:08:52 -0800

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 01:40:06PM -0800, Eric Ortega wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 01:15:46PM -0800, Steven Ellis wrote:
>
> > I often see Pan grab over 400Mb of memory, ...
>
> I know this has been asked of the developers before, and I feel sorry for
> bringing it up again, but just how does PAN use up 400M of memory while
> processing text files?

450,000 text files, Eric? :)

> How much memory would PAN need to handle 20k headers?

Pan's footprint after starting up is 7.5 meg for me.

The footprint after loading a group wth 26,000 headers is 35 meg.

Of the added 27.5 meg, 15 of it is GTK's overhead of filling the
header pane with 25,000 nodes.

The rest of it goes to the article structs, which are threaded together.
Most of this memory is carefully measured -- for example, strings are shared
so the author's name is only in one string, rather than N duplicate strings,
one per post.

> Is there any way to slim this down?
> Should this be slimmed down?
> Is it reasonable to expect these problems?
> At what point should a user expect to see a large amount of memory usage?

Good question.

--
cheers,
Charles