pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] 0.13.4 memory leaks

From: Steven Ellis
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] 0.13.4 memory leaks
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:52:41 -0800 (PST)

--- Charles Kerr <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 01:40:06PM -0800, Eric
> Ortega wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 01:15:46PM -0800, Steven
> Ellis wrote:
> >
> > > I often see Pan grab over 400Mb of memory, ...
> >
> > I know this has been asked of the developers
> before, and I feel sorry for
> > bringing it up again, but just how does PAN use up
> 400M of memory while
> > processing text files?
>
> 450,000 text files, Eric? :)
>
> > How much memory would PAN need to handle 20k
> headers?
>
> Pan's footprint after starting up is 7.5 meg for me.
>
> The footprint after loading a group wth 26,000
> headers is 35 meg.
>
> Of the added 27.5 meg, 15 of it is GTK's overhead of
> filling the
> header pane with 25,000 nodes.

Upto this point I agree

> The rest of it goes to the article structs, which
> are threaded together.
> Most of this memory is carefully measured -- for
> example, strings are shared
> so the author's name is only in one string, rather
> than N duplicate strings,
> one per post.
>
> > Is there any way to slim this down?
> > Should this be slimmed down?
> > Is it reasonable to expect these problems?
> > At what point should a user expect to see a large
> amount of memory usage?

If I download headers from a couple of big hitters
like the binary multimedia groups, the memory will now
be in the 100Mb mark. If I cue up some really big
attachments to download this keeps increasing with
each attachment until either PAN crashes, or the
machine crashes, by which time it is well over the
450Mb mark.

Steve

=====
--
If you listen very carefully you can sometimes hear the dolphins sing

address@hidden