pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] 0.13.4 memory leaks

From: Eric Ortega
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] 0.13.4 memory leaks
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:48:43 -0800

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 04:08:52PM -0800, Charles Kerr wrote:

> > > I often see Pan grab over 400Mb of memory, ...
> >
> > I know this has been asked of the developers before, and I feel sorry for
> > bringing it up again, but just how does PAN use up 400M of memory while
> > processing text files?
>
> 450,000 text files, Eric? :)

Ah, hmm, err, well, 450 Thousand you say ... hmm ...

So, would it be fair to say that each of these text files are taking up 1kb
in memory?  Is this just headers or what?

> Of the added 27.5 meg, 15 of it is GTK's overhead of filling the
> header pane with 25,000 nodes.

I think that blaming it on GTK is a good, solid dodge.  I mean, seriously,
rewriting all the stuff that they've already provided to save a few megs
here and there is just not worth it.