pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Sorting problem?

From: Torstein Sunde
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Sorting problem?
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 23:13:37 +0100

Bruce Bowler wrote:
> [...]
> but I have the groups I follow set to thread messages and sort
> ascending by date.
>
> For what I call base articles everything is hunky dory.  Early ones
> appear at the top of the list, later ones appear further down the
> list.  The problem is with replies.  As an example, in
> comp.lang.fortran, there's a thread that starts with a message created
> 18-Mar-2003 12:22.  There are 3 replies.  The first one listed under
> that base article has a date of 18-Mar-2003 13:45, the second's date
> is 18-Mar-2003 13:18, the 3rd one, which is actually the first reply
> is dated 18-Mar-2003 12:52.  The replies are in the reverse order that
> I'd expect them in.   This situation is not unique to this particular
> case.  It is uniform across the 40+ groups I browse...
>
> Am I wrong in expecting the replies to be in ascending date order too?
> [...]

I've been observing the same issue for quite a while myself, but I've
been too lazy to file a bug report yet.  It also applies when sorting
in descending order, and the replies aren't sorted in any particular
order at all, not necessarily in descending or reverse order.  (Try
looking at a thread with many replies.)

I would prefer *always* viewing the replies ascending by date, even when
viewing the *threads* descending by date or sorted by another field.
(AFAIK, that's also what most other graphical newsreaders do.)
Anyone who disagree on this?

You could always file a bug report, unless you'll rather wait for me or
someone else to get the lead out...  I don't think this is filed in
Bugzilla; the only open bug with "sort" in the summary is something
else.