pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] complex question less to do with pan, more to do with in

From: Wolf J. Flywheel
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] complex question less to do with pan, more to do with internet
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 08:53:49 -0400

On Thursday 24 April 2003 03:05, Duncan wrote:

> I don't know how secure LeafNode access can be made, but I know it can
> be set up on arbitrary ports, as I had access to it thru port 8888 I
> think it was, rather than the standard NNTP 119, to access it thru
> firewalls.  Whether it does securely authenticated access I don't know
> (does PAN?? never had to check)..

        You could use (Open)SSH to forward that port from your work account to
your home box; Pan would think it's connecting to a local news server,
but the connection would go from your box, through the firewall, and on
to the LeafNode pretty much transparently.  Besides that, it's more
secure and you wouldn't have to worry about changing its setup or that of
the firewall.

        Come to think of it, with SSH you could probably bypass LeafNode, and
use
SSH to get to Giganews.  However, that would mean using some second
program to forward from work to Giganews, and I don't know what that
would be.  (I'm sure such things exist, but I have no clue what you'd
use.  Netcat?)

Good luck,

--
// Carl Hudkins :: ICQ 5723399 :: PGP 50238D9E
//