pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] output from Status log, during header downloading..

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] output from Status log, during header downloading..
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:14:57 -0700

On Thu 24 Apr 2003 11:53, Charles Kerr posted as excerpted below:
> The bug was that I move the "remove outliers" call _before_ loading the
> headers from disk, so the remove failed, and Pan complained that we were
> trying to handle articles when they hadn't been loaded, or something of
> that nature.

Cool.   Now I understand at least in elementary terms.  The reason I asked
about it is that for some reason, my brain seems to use a different storage
and retrieval linking than many do.  Without this sort of structure and
cause/effect relationship, I basically can't process or retain the
data-point, and it is lost.  That's frustrating, when I know from experience
that it's just this sort of interlinking data-point and cause-effect that
allows me to have the intuitive understandings it seems I do at times.

This organization has it's good and bad points.  The biggest good point is
that like the "teach a man to fish" analogy, I tend to be decently good at
teaching both myself and others how to overcome types of issues I've been
able to classify.  The bad point is that because it's all stored
inter-connected, when I fetch it, it comes out the same way, and it's
essentially impossible for me to simply answer the question without
explaining everything in Nth level detail along with limits and exceptions,
sometimes including exceptions to the exceptions.

Take this post as an example.  I didn't really need to bring all that up to
simply say thanks, it helped, but once I did that, I felt the need to explain
WHY it helped, and then we get this whole other topic...  <g>  Once one thing
comes out, it drags all this other stuff with it.  Thus, short and to the
point answers are something my friends have learned to ask someone else for,
if that's what they want.  <g>  A half-hour dissertation to the Nth degree I
can handle.  A half minute direct answer I have problems with!  <g>

BTW, on occasion, I've noticed that in ordered store some data  point, my
brain fills in this info, if it isn't available.  Unfortunately, when that
happens, the filled in info can be wrong, which isn't a good thing when
someone's learned from experience his technical memory is usually pretty
accurate and can be relied upon.  Thus, if the data-point is sufficiently
interesting to me, I pretty much HAVE to have the cause/effect relationship,
or my brain will attempt to store the info anyway due to it's being so
interesting, and create a potentially inaccurate analysis of the situation in
ordered to link to that stored data.  Long explanation, but that's what i was
instinctively attempting to avoid by filling in the void, thus my question.

Clear as mud?  You've mentioned my posting style before.  This sort of
explains why it's the way it is.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin